In this tutorial, you will learn about “how to use the correct Anchor Text properly to drive best results and avoid PENGUIN related penalties”. Using Anchor text variations can be confusing at first, but if you understand that how to use it & in which proportions, then you will automatically become a lot better at SEO.
Always remember that Anchor texts can literally make or break a campaign.
It doesn't matter that if you are a newbie or an expert in SEO, the strategies that you’re about to learn straight out work in all scenarios. First Of All It Is Vital For You To Understand:
1. What Exactly "Anchor Text" Is?
The anchor text is the visible & clickable text in a link that we see within the content of the website and once we click on it we will be directed to another page/URL. And to create it, you need to remember a very simple HTML code as shown below:
However, as users, we can see only the clickable part of the anchor text i.e. venusfactorreviewz as shown below:
By clicking on this visible anchor text i.e. venusfactorreviewz you will be directed to the targeted URL for this keyword.
If we want to ‘break down’ the elements that constitute the anchor text structure:
- <a> and </a> = beginning and end of link tag.
- http://venusfactorreviewz.com/= link referral location.
- venusfactorreviewz= anchor text.
Search engines use this text to help determine the subject matter of the linked-to document.
2. Importance Of Anchor Text In SEO:
- Anchor Text is one of the most important relevancy factors for SEO. There are various relevancy factors within the website page, elements like the meta title, the heading tags, the surrounding text and the anchor text.
- Anchor text is one of the easiest ways for Google to understand the relevancy of any given website.
- It is one of the best ways for Google to find out the SEO'd websites and penalize them, all they need to do is run their PENGUIN filter to screen sites with over optimized backlink profiles (When we say over optimized, we mean backlink profiles which concentrate heavily on exact anchor text for which sites want to rank rather than a natural backlink profile).
- But, this doesn't mean that anchor text has lost its value in SEO. In fact, it has become even stronger than it was before.
- Before the first Penguin update SEO people all over the world were targetting 100% exact match anchors for all of their backlinks to rank.
- But, after the first penguin update everything was changed and with every next update the situation become trickier for SEO people.
Anchor Text Still Works But Only If You Know How To Use It In A Proper Manner:
The anchor text should contain keywords that are related to our targeted search terms. In other words, our text should be keyword-rich if we want to increase our chances of improving our keyword rankings.
Before explaining the whole Anchor text strategy, it is important for you to know & understand all the different types of anchors so that you’ll be able to create a diverse and organic link/anchor profile.
Different Types of Anchor Text:
- Naked URL/URL Variation
- Exact Match/Direct Keyword
- Partial Match/Keyword Variation
Now let's get started by explaining all the above mentioned anchor text in brief:
Branded Anchors are those anchor that uses your brand name in it.
For Example: “At venusfactorreviewz you can find out best weight loss tips.”
Branded anchors are the safest as long as your site is not an exact match domain.
Simply take a look at any big brand and look at the percentage of branded anchors in their link profile.
Here is an example that you’ll want to follow:
b) Naked URL/URL Variation:
Naked URL means using the exact URL of a website as it is to get a backlink. For example: http://venusfactorreviewz.com/ will be used as it is, which means it will be used as a whole URL without any variations.
Whereas, URL variation can be defined as breaking down the URL into different variations. For example: The URL “http://venusfactorreviewz.com/” can be used in different variations like:
This is a tricky strategy, but it’s a good idea plus it looks more natural. Google likes more natural link growth and placement.
It does hamper the time period in which the site ranks, as you are link building on multiple keywords rather then few but its the way Google likes it.
c) Exact Match/Direct Keyword:
- Believe or not exact match anchors/direct keywords are the most crucial of all anchor text. Not only it has the power to increase your rankings, but also has the power to penalize your website.
- In simple terms, an exact match anchor/direct keyword is the exact match of whatever your target keyword is. For Example: if “Venus Factor” is my target keyword, then my exact match anchor would be “Venus Factor”.
d) Partial Match/Keyword Variation:
- Partial Match anchor or Keyword Variation are very similar to LSI’s (Latent Symentic Indexing), but the major difference is that you’re making it up as opposed to using Google’s suggestions or using keywords that have search volume.
- Finding Partial Match anchor/Keyword Variation is super easy. You can either use Google’s suggest options in the search bar, “Searched related to ___” at the bottom of the search results, or for more extensive keywords, you can use the Keyword Planner.
Below are the examples of finding out the partial match for target keyword “venus factor”:
Google Suggest Options:
e) Generic: Generic Anchors are the most common form of anchor text such as:
- see here
- click site
- check here
- official site
- check it out
- more info here
- look at this site
- read this article
- click here now
- browse this site
- useful reference
- Get More Info
- my review here
- Check This Out
- view publisher site
- click to read more
- click for more info
- you can try this out
- get redirected here
- learn this here now
- check these guys out
- Get More Information
- navigate to this website
In a sentence: “Go here if you’re looking for venus factor.” – “Go here” is the generic anchor text.
- Target Keyword: “venus factor”
- Anchor Text: “go here”
“If you’re looking for more information about venus factor go here right away.”
f) Others: Other Anchors include variations of exact match, partial match & generic anchors etc.
Let's get stated with:
1) Image Anchors :
- Image links can be used in every campaign because it’s a great way to diversify link velocity. Some SEO forms may claim that the anchor text isn’t counted in images, but it does count.
- Google uses the “ALT” tag as the anchor text in an image. If you leave this blank, you’ll get a “noText” anchor.
2) Brand + Keyword Anchor :
- This is another great strategy to stay safe and for building a diverse as well as natural anchor profile.
- For example: If you use “venusfactorreviewz” as the brand and target keyword as “the venus factor”, then anchor text would look like this:
“the venus factor by venusfactorreviewz”
“venusfactorreviewz for the venus factor”
In the above examples you’re simply combining your target keyword with your brand.
3) LSI Anchors:
- “LSI” stands for “Latent Semantic Indexing”. It simply means variations of your main keyword.
- So, if we are targeting “the venus factor”, then some LSI keywords would be:
“the venus factor diet”
“the venus factor book”
“does venus factor work”
4) Long Anchors:
- Long anchors are really just an extension of partial-match except they are a little longer.
- Here are a few examples for “venus factor”:
“venus factor system ”
“the venus factor does it work ”
Remember: With Link Authority you are able to publish your link in high quality articles and relevancy is all that matters to Google.